Commissioning a contemporary portrait from life provides an enjoyable, collaborative experience which results in an artwork that projects your image through time. The size, medium, and the number of figures in a portrait will contribute to its cost (for prices see below).
There are three steps to consider when commissioning a piece of British figurative art:
1. The practicalities
* Does my work connect with you? Please browse my Commission portfolio.
* Who is the portrait to be of? Head and shoulders, half or full length?
* What size? If you have a place for it in mind, allow an 10cm or 4” if the artwork is on canvas, rather than cradled gesso panel, and to have a frame.
* What medium – oil or pencil etc
* Will it be from one sitting of three hours with photography? Where will they take place?
* Will it be from solely from agreed hi-res photographs that inspire me? This is usually the case with a child.
* What clothes are to be worn?
* Completion date
2. The quote
* A non-obligation email quote excludes framing and any travel, accommodation and delivery. I cover London and surrounds.
* For oil paintings, I will take a deposit before starting work, rarely a payment mid-way for larger works, and a final payment on completion. An oil portrait can take up from 6 weeks to 3 months to complete.
* For drawings, I take a deposit and a final payment. A drawing can take 1-2 weeks to complete.
* The Portrait gift card is a unique present for a special event or anniversary. How it works: discuss your budget with me. Give the card which says: You will have a month to discuss the detail of the commission with Stella and me - and plan the final unveiling!
* Seeing a completed portrait for the first time is strange as we are not used to seeing ourselves through the imagination of an artist. So the more you look at a portrait, the more it reveals.
* Although framing does not form part of the commission, I will advise what sort of frame complements my work, or whether a frame is needed.
Single portrait in oils (+£600 per extra person)
|Size inches||Size cm||Price|
|16 x 12||40 x 30||£600|
|20 x 16||50 x 40||£980|
|24 x 20||60 x 50||£1,300|
|30 x 25||76 x 63||£1,500|
|36 x 28||90 x 70||£1,950|
|40 x 30||100 x 76||£2,600|
Single portrait drawing (+£50 per extra person)
|40 x 50||£300|
My previous career in broadcast news pr makes me ideally suited to collaborating with musicians on an original artwork inspired by agreed photos that will capture your brand. I will then license the artwork for you to use on your CD covers and other promotional materials.
* I offer life drawing of females in the privacy of your own home for hanging in a private space.
* A2 drawing / £350
* Contact me to discuss a commission
* Drawn and pet portraits in oils are created from agreed, high resolution photographs that inspire me, often taken by owners whose relationship allows them to get closer.
* Drawings start at A4 / £180
* Paintings start at 10"x 8" (approx 20 x 25 cm) / £250
* I provide the option of having your pet’s portrait feature as a design on my Red Bubble shop – a fun way of sharing it with family and friends on t shirts, bags and other products. To find out more, visit my art product shop.
So you want to be a rock n' roll star – just for one day? Now you can!
If you want to find out what it’s like to be a rock star, from 17 May 2021 you can, once again, commission me to give you the next best experience! In an artistic collaboration, we will discuss the clothes you’ll wear, music you’ll move to, instruments you’ll play and poses you might strike. Then we’ll set a weekday date for you to take to the Half Moon stage while I photograph you in action! Your permanent reminder of your 15 minutes of fame will be my photos of you preparing and my drawing or oil painting of you. A3 single portrait drawings from £250 + £25 venue hire + £50 per extra person.
Here's what my first would be rock 'n' rollers had to say about the experience:
"A hugely enjoyable experience – with a unique artwork at the end! In another life we’d have been rock musicians, only neither of us can sing or play an instrument. This was no barrier to taking on the persona of a rock duo on stage, to be immortalised by Stella in one of her vibrant portraits. She quickly helped us overcome our self-consciousness and was even able to offer guidance on how to convincingly handle the instruments. We had a blast singing along to our favourite numbers – luckily to an imaginary audience. Stella makes the creation of the portrait itself a real collaboration, from choosing the best photo together, to regularly emailing images of the work-in-progress for comment. It was magical to see the picture grow, and it will never stop being a thrill to see our own wonderful portrait on the wall."
Rock Experience Single portrait drawing + £25 venue hire + £50 per extra person
|40 x 50||£300|